<VV> water injection advice needed- now heat range

corvairduval at cox.net corvairduval at cox.net
Tue Feb 19 15:03:05 EST 2013

That sounds better.

Combustion temperatures in a Corvair are over 2500 °F I would assume, since
EGR systesm were installed to keep combustion temperature at 2500 °F to
minimize NOx production. So 60 out of say 3000 is a small change.

The path of heat from the tip of the plug to the head is shorter with cold
range spark plugs. Pre-ignition can be caused by the red hot tip of the
spark plug setting off the charge before a spark is activated, and having a
shorter path will keep the tip cooler to prevent pre-ignition of this type.
You can usually see if pre-ignition is caused by the spark plug, as it
looks very white and misshapen when examined.

Frank DuVal