<VV> Valve Stem Extensions; Was: Gotta Have on eBay

wrsssatty at aol.com wrsssatty at aol.com
Fri Feb 22 11:44:55 EST 2013

My '63 passenger car assembly manual, under the options section, shows valve stem extensions as part of the "Wheel Trim Cover" assembly (i.e. simulated wire wheel covers).  It's worth noting that the simulated wire wheel covers also came with an instruction sheet to be "cemented" on the inside luggage compartment lid.  Despite the fact that the wire wheel covers are now near ubiquitous, I've only seen the instruction sheet on one car, presumably because it was an unmolested original and probably came from the factory or at least the dealership with the option.  Anyway, as to the valve stem extensions, the part number (9417745) listed in my '63 passenger car assembly manual is different than the part number shown on the instruction sheet that the eBay seller shows for his listed item although I don't see any difference between the illustration in the '63 passenger car assembly manual and the seller's photo.  The seller's instruction sheet states that his valve stem extensions are for "Chevrolet & Corvair 95".  My guess is that, in the case of Corvairs, his valve stem extensions were called for if full wheel covers were opted for on the FC vehicles.  Someone with an FC assembly manual for '61 and/or '62 could confirm.

The "Buy It Now" price also strikes me as outrageous.  So does the seller's shipping price.  $14.58 for standard shipping?  Those valve stems couldn't weigh that much or need a very big box.  A perusal of the sellers other items shows that his "Buy It Now" price looks high on about all his items.  Granted, we Corvair owners seem to be swimming in the shallow end of what can be a rather pricey hobby and we do have a well-deserved reputation for being cheap but, I still feel that price might be way too high.  Only time will tell.  Follow the auction!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/370734357812

~Bill Stanley