<VV> (no subject)

BobHelt at aol.com BobHelt at aol.com
Fri Feb 22 16:20:21 EST 2013

Ray,
Excuse me for possibly reading something unintended in your statement
below, but you seem to be under the impression that advancing the spark timing
up to the point of detonation at each rpm would be ideal.

Far from it. The object is to advance the timing up to the point of maximum
 torque at any rpm and do that without encountering borderline detonation.
That  point is called MBT or max best torque. Note the borderline det., not
to the  point where you can hear it.

IF you should go beyond MBT then there will be a LOSS of torque.

Why not start with the advance curves found in the four Chev engine test
reports available from Clarks??????

Regards,
Bob Helt

I'll be running the Carter knock eliminator for what that is worth. I'd
love to think that device would allow me to advance the hell out of the
timing and count on it to prevent engine damage but I'm sure that would be
a horrible idea.

Ray R.