<VV> Vacuum Advance vs Safeguard turbo application

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Fri Feb 22 21:11:09 EST 2013

As far as  know, Safeguard can only retard timing. It cannot give extra
when needed. Vacuum advance works by modifying the timing for certain
driving conditions, and usually advances the timing, not retards it.
When you are just coasting along, you do not need maximum advance. When
you accelerate, then you need extra advance for the acceleration duration.

So the safeguard will not increase the timing when accelerating, it will
only decrease the timing when a knock is detected. This means to get the
proper timing when accelerating, you would need to have too much advance
when coasting.

Oh, you said stock turbo setup, the one without vacuum advance. Again,
the Safeguard does not act like a vacuum advance, but it will allow you
to increase base timing some and then it will decrease timing to stop
knock when necessary. So, no, but it might help overall.

Awaiting Bob Helt or the other Frank to correct me!

Of course I drove my 64 Spyder convertible for years with a vacuum
advance unit and NO pressure retard. I didn't know it was wrong, the
used car it was...  If it didn't have such low compression it might have
hurt itself.

So my question is, would using a standard vacuum advance unit and a
Safeguard be better than the pressure retard unit only? Would it have
the acceleration response of a normally vacuum advance engine and the
safety of knock elimination at high boost? Disregard the turbo lag...

Frank DuVal