<VV> Vacuum Advance or Vacuum Retard

jay m jaysplace at laserpubs.com
Sat Feb 23 01:56:55 EST 2013

ok, c'mon-

If there's no vacuum to the VA unit, you get whatever the mechanical
advance gives you.
If there is enough vacuum to the VA unit, it advances the timing.

That's vacuum advance.

There's a spring in there. Maybe the engineers found that mechanical
advance was suitable for moderate to heavy load, but performance/economy
is improved with more advance under lighter load conditions.

"Advance" exists so that the combustion event yields best results under
a certain set of conditions.
Since the engine operates under a range of conditions, you need a
variable advance.
That's why you have a basic curve set by RPM, plus and adjustment for
engine load.

The air-fuel mix will burn faster when temperature and pressure is
higher. But it burns according to time, not degrees of engine rotation.
That's at least part of the reason that you need more advance as RPMs
increase.
I'll guess you max the advance at about the point where volumetric
efficiency starts to drop off?
(that would be peak torque, I expect?)

Under light throttle cruise, I expect you have some noticeable manifold
vacuum - which means the cylinders aren't getting a full load of
mixture, and the pressure/temperature is less than under full throttle
at the same RPM.

That means that the burn should be slower, so you'd want to start the
burn earlier to get best results from that gas you just paid $4+/gallon.

I'm told that pre-ignition and/or detonation are affected by a lot of
things, but many of them are addressed by a careful overhaul and
blueprint job.
(equal cylinder volumes, equal piston heights in the cylinders, etc.)

That means you might want to run different advance than nominal factory,
because factory settings allow for factory engine builds and likely
use/neglect in the real world.

Starting with specs provided by experienced builders would be a real
good idea.
But my above comments might help clarify the 'what' and 'why' of spark
advance.