<VV> Crankcase Vent

Bill & Chris Strickland lechevrier at q.com
Fri Jan 18 17:35:40 EST 2013

> Not so cute on a hot day when that yellow smog comes out of the
> crankcase.  Even after being filtered, whatever seeps through the heater
> ducts is going to smell pretty bad.   Don't count on the orificed tube going
> to the crossover to handle all of it.
***** ***** *****

I have to fully agree with Smitty on this one -- somewhere along the
line, maybe it was the "bean counters", GM failed to provide the Corvair
with a Positive Crankcase Ventilation system that actually worked, then,
or now.

A working PCV system will provide a "slight" negative pressure in the
crankcase -- look at what Ford used to use to test PCV systems (a vacuum
gauge - of sorts - on the valve cover). I dare say that if the Corvair
had  actually had negative pressure in the crankcase, they wouldn't have
gained their reputation for leaking fluids out of said crankcase, and
thus, the stinky heaters, et al.  CO would still be a concern, of course
(but they sell detectors for that these days).

Solutions to this dilemma can be as varied as the owners of Corvairs,
but "stock" is not the solution.  Hi-pro racers like to see actual
vacuum in the crankcase (header scavenging, etc), not "just" catch cans
(likely required by rules).

mo,

Bill Strickland