<VV> <Aarrgghh!!> Autoweek ~ "ill-handling Corvair" - Really ?

Ken Pepke kenpepke at juno.com
Tue Jan 22 09:24:05 EST 2013

While I know of no book specifically entitled 'Ill Handling Corvair' there was a book written near the end of 1965 that was titled 'Unsafe At Any Speed.'  Part of one of its chapters included negative claims concerning the Corvair's drivability.  Hungry for newsworthy product  and unencumbered by any need for truth and accuracy, the news medial jumped at the bait.  Hundreds of articles were written and published … selling the idea to John Q Public.

The Corvair's reputation remains tarnished even today.  How many of the members of this venue still believe Corvairs oversteer even though they have been driving them for many years?  In fact, the claims agains the Corvair were settled in court with the exoneration of its engineering.  Where was the news media on that day?

While it is impossible to set the record straight, a book making an attempt to do so was was written 'way back in 1969!  Called 'Assassination of the Corvair' written by Andrew J White and published by Readers Press, Inc., Library of Congress Catalog No. 77-95002.

Ken P
Wyandotte, MI
65 Monza 110hp 4 speed 2 door
Worry looks around; Sorry looks back, Faith looks up.