<VV> <Aarrgghh!!> Autoweek ~ "ill-handling Corvair" -, Really ?

Steven J. Serenska corvair at serenska.com
Tue Jan 22 16:04:58 EST 2013

John:

> I think the whole hullabaloo had to do with two things:
> 1. Nader was using this car to further his career.
> 2. Corvairs were somewhat less forgiving of idiots, hence my soggy
> rear tire comment.

I agree with you comments, but I would add an Item #1.5 to your list: GM
tried to put out the fire with gasoline by hiring a private detective to
dig up dirt on Ralphie boy.  Worse, when they couldn't find any dirt,
they attempted to manufacture some (e.g., by trying to set him up in a
compromising position with a call girl).  Worse still, they were dumb
enough to get caught red-handed.  Apparently, GM and its private eyes
hadn't allowed for the possibility that Ralph Nader was as asexual as a
potato and did not rise to the bait.

If you haven't read it, the book "The Investigation of Ralph Nader" by
Thomas Whiteside is a reasonably unbiased account of the whole affair.
The book is neutral toward the Corvair but really makes GM and their
management team look like a bunch of dunderheads.

There are several copies available on www.abebooks.com for the princely
sum of $1.00.  Not a bad read.

Steven J. Serenska