<VV> Avanti turns 50; NOW: Corvair content

wrsssatty at aol.com wrsssatty at aol.com
Fri Jan 25 12:45:25 EST 2013

What the article failed to mention was that one of the designer's on Raymond Loewy's Avanti design team ( Tom Kellogg, I think) at the time drove an early ('60, I think) Monza coupe.  I recall seeing a documentary, I think on the History Channel, about the Avanti that included a black & white photo of the Corvair coupe under a car port canopy in front of the house that Loewy rented in Palm Springs to serve as a design studio for the Avanit project.  When I was at the Fanbelt Toss in 2011 my friend, a Palm Springs resident and former Corvair owner, and I cruised up and down trying to determine which house it was.  I think we'd somehow narrowed it down to the street but not the actual house.  Loewy had a home in Palm Springs, which is well known, in a much more affluent part of town.

~Bill Stanley