<VV> Spare 140 hp engine wanted in the Central California

RoboMan91324 at aol.com RoboMan91324 at aol.com
Tue Jan 29 12:42:57 EST 2013

First, Paul, do you want or need the spare engine to be a  140?  Is the
purpose to swap out engines seamlessly or just have a backup  available if and
when your present 140 needs work?  The lower HP motors are  less expensive
and more available.  Who knows, you might prefer a 110 to  the 140; many do.

Second, Matt is absolutely correct about the importance of the  "packaging"
of the motor for shipping if that is how things end up.   Previously, I
wrote to VV about my experience shipping a proper date code 180 HP  engine from
Chicago to LA.  Other than the seller being thoroughly  dishonest about the
condition of the motor, he also prepared the motor poorly  for shipping.  I
was clear in my communications that the motor should be  properly strapped
to the pallet then covered.  What arrived was almost  insanely lacking in
any forethought.  The motor was not covered and the  seller found a mini
pallet with exactly the same footprint as the motor.   This meant that the motor
would be bouncing against anything and everything next  to it on a series of
trucks.  In addition, the engine wasn't strapped to  the pallet; it was
tied to it with rope.  Of course the rope was loose when  the motor arrived and
the motor had experienced significant trauma.  Things  were broken, sheet
metal was bent and/or torn and one valve cover was  missing.  Oil had
apparently spilled from the motor in transit.  (The  oil should be drained before
shipping.)  Fortunately, I had the foresight  to insist that the seller
remove the carb/turbo assembly, alternator, manifold  and distributor to be
shipped in their own box.  Even if the motor is  crated, as it should be, it is
advisable to remove the easily damaged items from  the motor and package them
separately just in case.  If there is no crate,  this should absolutely be
done unless the transport is in the back of a pickup  or SUV where there is
no danger of other items landing on top.

Third, buying something like a used motor is inherently  risky.  Even if
the seller is a basically honest person, (mine wasn't)  keep in mind that the
condition is subject to opinion.  One man's "good  running condition" is
another man's "OK for a very temporary spare but needs a  rebuild."  For this
reason, you must be cautious of even a "regular"  here on VV.  I connected
with my seller here on VV and his  misstatement of the motor's condition was
far worse than a matter of  opinion.  To round out this segment, I also had
an experience with a  Corvair with a spare motor that I won in an auction on
eBay.  In this case,  the seller was also a bald faced liar about both the
condition of the car and  the motor.  I won't go into detail on the car but
the motor was claimed to  be complete, professionally rebuilt and never
installed in a car.  What  it turned out to be was incomplete, and caked with
road grime.   With dirt/oil built up in the slots of screws and the shoulders
of nuts and  bolts, it was obvious that it had not been torn apart and
reassembled for a very  long time.  I did not complete the transaction.

Let the buyer beware, especially if you buy sight  unseen.

Doc

1960 Corvette, 1961 Rampside, 1962 Rampside, 1964 Spyder  coupe, 1965
Greenbrier, 1966 Canadian Corsa turbo coupe, 1967 Nova SS, 1968  Camaro ragtop

In a message dated 1/29/2013 3:54:37 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,

Message:  5