<VV> Emailing: VV 13 tires.htm -- off-list reply

jay m jaysplace at laserpubs.com
Tue Jan 29 22:19:07 EST 2013

On 1/29/2013 2:50 PM, Thompson, Ed wrote:
> <VV> 13" tires
>
> Your car looks very tough and (a good) "mean," certainly no need for
> ww's for it -- do you compete in it at CORSA events, where (in what
> general area) are you located?
>
> Attached is photo of my '66 sedan, @ the 2001 Convention.  Tires
> (P185/80R13) are about three years old, (maybe) 3K miles, I will be
> looking to replace them in about two to three years.

Hi, Ed
That's a good looking 'Vair.
I guess this may as well go to the list as well.

I'm in SoCal, not far from Pasadena.
  I took mine to a couple of autocrosses. It was interesting, fun, and
frustrating.
The car had  a number of problems in fuel and handling.
The fuel stains below the gas cap indicate one of the problems. On hard
rights, it was sloshing past the gasket.
Also, after a few really hard corners, the fuel systems manages to suck
enough air that the fuel injection won't do more than than idle for a
while.
I had some crappy old tires, and the rear of the car slid around
something awful.
I got some better used tires on the back, but haven't been to the track
since.
I am preparing another engine (240 HP 3800 supercharged) and trans, and
intend to revise the rear suspension at the same time.
Instead of using struts from the donor Buick, I will fab upper control
arms instead. This will provide room for some much wider wheels/tires,
and also provide more camber gain to keep the tires flat on the ground.
more at http://laserpubs.com/techcomm/?page_id=132

The SCCA or the NHRA would want a lot of safety gear for me to run at
the drags or a road course. I'm not sure what CORSA will want.
Once things are sorted out a bit, there's always Speed Ventures - they
seem to have lower standards.
Comments and suggestions welcome!

Regards
Jay