<VV> piston rings

Mark Durham 62vair at gmail.com
Wed Jan 30 23:12:39 EST 2013

Spence, I need a few details. What type of oil are you using or a
better question, what weight and type were used when you did your
initial start and run at 2000 rpm?. How many miles are on the engine?
Was the overhaul completed due to smoking?

You say the guides were good. Does this mean they were within new
limits and guide to valve clearance is also in new limits?

Did you use the cylinders with the correct crosshatch pattern for total
seal rings?

Have you taken all plugs out to see if there is even color on all, or
if there is a cylinder or two using more oil?

Let's see where this goes, but I would not rule out the rings. The fact
that you have good compression does not mean oil is being used and
going past the rings because these rings do take a long time to fully
seat and oil will help compression.

For instance, my engine with chrome rings puffed on startup for over
1200 miles then just stopped one day, and still is using a little oil
at the 2000 mile mark. but compression was good after initial break in.
Mark Durham

Sent from my Windows Phone