<VV> After market oil pans & valve covers

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Sat Jun 1 14:17:13 EDT 2013

I certainly think you are entitled to my opinion! <grin>.

The Otto parts pan - which you already have, and the Otto Parts baffle
spacer - available from Clarks, along with the special low hanging oil pickup
for use with this combination, also from Clarks,will provide the oil control
you  need for pressure maintenance. Be sure to check during assembly to
verify the  position of the pick-up, (Maybe 3/8" from the bottom?) Otto parts
made  several different pick-up with different height positions. With the
baffle  spacer installed, the pan will then hang down a bit, but not as far as
some. You  could mill-off some of the fins at the very bottom to get more
clearance. But  the fins may just gradually disappear in regular use! Usually
headers are  the first to make contact.  For valve covers, the only thing I
really like  about the cast aftermarket valve covers - all of them, is their
rigidity. Ignore  almost all cooling claims. If you run extra valve train
stabilizers, you will  have to go to the deep covers, but otherwise a
standard cover will work.  Installation of your covers, whether steel or aluminum,
is the real test of oil  "control". Take the time to do it right. Oil on the
headers has given the  Corvair a bad rap in racing circles at times. It has
happened to me when I  got lazy.

PS - About the Offenhauser valve covers. I ran them on my open-wheel Lola,
they worked fine. When people would walk up and ask what kind of motor I
had in  it, I pointed to the lettering on the Valve Covers and said: "An Offy!"

Yuk-Yuk-Yuk!  -Seth

In a message dated 6/1/2013 8:48:17 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,