<VV> &lt;VV&gt; Powerglide Transmission Cooler

Jim Davis jld at wk.net
Wed Jun 5 18:38:14 EDT 2013

You need to look through your UltraVan Tech Tips for
the information on how to modify the car PG for an
external oil cooler.  The UltraVan uses a car
transmission (1966-9) and the transmission
cross-member (modified by Ultra Inc.) for the same
model Corvair car.  The front PG pump must be removed
and the cover plate drilled and tapped for the
fittings.  (Do not try this with the cover plate
installed, as any drilling or tapping shavings will
lock the front pump and snap the drive shaft
splines.)  Original FC fittings were 1/4" pipe thread
into the cast iron pump cover.  The cast-in by-pass
for the fluid in the pump must be filled with J-B
weld and cut and filed smooth so the fluid is forced
through the cooler.

The 1961-5 FCs use the same pump and cover plate is
drilled and tapped, so using this plate with the
installed pressure by-pass will also work.  All FCs
came with a external oil cooler.  The NOS front pump
sold by Clarks is an FC pump with the fitting for the
pressure by-pass but works fine provided the by-pass
is filled if you do not posses a by-pass valve and
spring.
Jim Davis