<VV> ADDING COOLING LINES TO CAR PG possible problem

N2VZD at aol.com N2VZD at aol.com
Thu Jun 6 21:47:18 EDT 2013

 This is just a rough outline from memory , without going to my notes and
books!
JUST adding the pump cover to a car powerglide will not do the job. You
need to make a filler for one of the voids in the pump  ( in the powerglide
book sold by Corvanatics) or change the complete pump assembly.
I did one with a poured lead filler years ago , but best way is the
complete pump. There are 3 different pumps out there , somewhere ( I am very
frustrated trying to find a series of pictures I did on this subject years ago
for a tech session) Contrary to what some people will tell you , I have had
at  least 3 different pumps on the bench at the same time for pictures.
There are  slight changes in the casting of the pump or cover.
 If things are not right , you are wasting your time putting the cover  on.
I will try harder to find more on this subject soon. There is a lot to it
you will miss by not reading up on it. You must also take readings of the
stack  of components , to determine shims needed also. wrong guess may shorten
life of  a lot of internals. If wrong , when you bolt trans to differential
it will be  too loose (sort of OK) , or too tight (a real NO NO)
  There are also slight important differences in holes in the pump and
cover. If you have several apart , look carefully at the pump body.
One problem , if overlooked will render a cooler useless. You can tell by
driving the car a while , then put your hand on the cooler. If it is cold ,
you  goofed.  I hope this saves you from problems.
Regards, knowing just enough to cover my butt , Tim Colson
 most of my knowledge comes from mistakes...thank god most were  somewhere
else!