<VV> Changing Things

corvairduval at cox.net corvairduval at cox.net
Mon Jun 24 18:22:28 EDT 2013

145 vs 164 differences are just in the stroke of the crank. I mean the
displacement change is from the stroke of the crank. To stroke the engine,
GM had to change:

Crankshaft (longer throw on rod journals, dimentions are the same)

Pistons (shorter distance from top of piston to first ring land and piston
pin is also closer to top)

Rings (match groove size of new pistons)

Cylinders (bore is the same, added a notch at the bottom to clear the rod
at bottom of stroke)

You cannot put 164 pistons on a 145 crank, and get the same compression
ratio. They will fit and run, just lower power.

To find out if your YR is 145 or 164, pull a head and measure stroke.

If the rings fell through the barrel, measure EVERYTHING for wear.

Frank DuVal

Original email: