<VV> easier on a lift

John Kepler jekepler at amplex.net
Wed Jun 26 11:20:51 EDT 2013

+1!  There is nothing in our insurance coverage that prohibits an owner or
other authorized party from being in our shop, and we generally encourage
our customers to observe firsthand what we see wrong with their vehicle and
educate them for future reference.  But we aren't stupid about it
either....not every operation in the repair process is hazard-free, and I
don't want too many extraneous people at risk, so we do things on a
case-by-case basis.  But I've gotta tell you.....if you enter MY property
and presume to know more than my techs and try to become Boss in my
house......both you and your busted car will probably be shown the door!
There's one ramrod per job.....and in my shop, I'm it!  Don't like it?  Hit
the road, I've got more work than I can handle and don't need customers that
annoying.  And having said all that......the "issue" has NEVER gotten
anywhere close to that point, and a truly knowledgeable customer is better
to work with than the "clueless" variety.

FWIW.  The lift in my home shop is a symmetrical (not surprising, I bought
it specifically to work on my Corvairs!), and it isn't the least bit "picky"
about what is spotted where within reason.  The lifts in my commercial shop
are asymmetrical, and Corvairs and Porsches fit best on them backwards
(backing the car into the lift-bay),

JEK  .

... for those signs that say insurance doesn't allow you in the work
area--that's nonsense.  The shop may not want you in there for many
legitimate reasons related to risk management, but the policy doesn't forbid
it in my experience.  And I've had the same lift experience with a Chevy
shop and their "Corvair expert."

Bob

He said, you aren't allowed in here.