<VV> Convertible window

wrsssatty at aol.com wrsssatty at aol.com
Sun Jun 30 21:33:58 EDT 2013

Mind you, I've never followed this advice, but I've been told that the best way to protect the plastic window in a convertible top on a Corvair is to unzip it before folding the top and to take two appropriately sized pieces of felt and place one of each on either side of the window before folding the top over on it.  I'm told that the nap on a terry cloth towel risks putting marks or indentations on the clear plastic in hot weather.

My top appears to have its original zipper and I just figured that zipping and unzipping it over and over risked causing more damage than merely folding the plastic window.  And, yes, I have applied the recommended bees wax to the zipper.  Still, I think I'll leave well enough alone with it.  The guy I bought the car from over 15 years ago had the top replaced and then never put it down.  I insisted upon doing so before buying the car and when I did, he remarked that the car looked so nice with the top down maybe he should have been putting it down all along!  My philosophy:  Enjoy it but don't abuse it.

~Bill Stanley

<My new vair is so nice that I'm afraid to put the top down without knowledgeable
heads advise. I just don't want to mark the window. The car is a 69, but it has
a nylon zipper for the window.
Do I zip down the window before putting the top down? I heard about placing
towels, but how/where?