<VV> Carburetor idle vent functionality

corvairduval at cox.net corvairduval at cox.net
Fri Mar 1 10:59:22 EST 2013

I'm with Bob. The original GM tech tip (or whatever it was called) was for
the dealer mechanic to drill a hole in the side of the carb (at a certain
place) to help with hot starting. The hole was always open, so there were
complaints of added gas smell in the engine compartment. The idle vent
valve was incorporated in the carb redesign to seal the hole off idle. I
can attest that leaving the rubber valve off when rebuilding a carb results
in a carb that runs fine. The rubber does not affect carb performance. So
it should never be "more trouble than they are worth".

Frank DuVal