<VV> more on enrichment plugs (carb)

Ramon Rodriguez III corvairgrymm at gmail.com
Fri Mar 1 15:33:45 EST 2013

First, thank you all for the very informative replies!  I'm now certain
that I want to use carbs with the idle vent which rules out the 63 pair
that I'd been seriously considering.

I am, however, still left with questions about the enrichment circuit ID.
 I'm thinking maybe this has to do with later replacement carbs?

Here is the problem,  I have 7 carbs here in the house that are ostensibly
late model carbs as they have both the base vent and asymmetrical venturi
clusters.

Out of those seven three look like the one pictured here
http://corvaircenter.com/phorum/read.php?1,504108,504649 (scroll down a few
posts for the pic) and the other four have smooth sides without that
vertical raised bar containing the enrichment circuit plug in that photo.
 I don't know which style is earlier and which later for sure, but I'm
guessing the style shown in that photo is the later type because the one
smog carb I have here looks that way.

Here is the hanging point, out of those 7 late model carbs sitting here in
the house, only ONE has a plug in that location.  The impression I had was
that the majority of 64 1/2 up carbs would have that plug (and therefore
the enrichment circuit).  Now if I just happen to have lots of
non-enrichment late carbs that works great for me as that is what my
builder wants.. but the fact that I only have one here with the plug makes
me hesitate to make that assumption without asking.

Also:

Did the asymmetrical venturi cluster start in 64 or 65?

Did the carbs after a certain point go back to all not having the
enrichment circuit?  I know most of the smog carbs didn't have it, I mean
the ones on non-smog cars.  This might explain how 6 of my 7 late carbs
don't have the plug.

I promise to soon buy my third Bob Helt book, the one on carbs!  Anyone who
doesn't have Mr. Helt's books (The Classic Corvair and Corvair Secrets)
should really remedy that, they are FULL of interesting and useful info!

Thanks again,

Ray R.