<VV> Subject: Re: Carburetor idle vent functionality/vent seal

Grant Young gyoungwolf at earthlink.net
Fri Mar 1 20:22:54 EST 2013

Carbs that have the base vents, but no enrichment circuits/rivets, are 1964's
or 1968/9's. All had asymmetrical clusters, but the smog carbs are easily
identified by their air vent in the throat or by the protrusion for it on the outside of the throat area that looks like two stacked squares. There are, however, a very few smog carbs that have enrichment circuits, so always look inside to be sure (which were probably a manufacturing mistake, but I find 3-4 pairs a year).

PS - Drilling a hole in the venturi of an early model carb is NOT a good idea. If you want a vent, it is better to install one from a later model carb (I'll send you the springs and seals, or send them to me and I'll do it for you).
The Carbmeister