<VV> 17" or 18" vs 13-15" / Wheel weights?

Matt Nall patiomatt at aol.com
Sat Mar 2 14:31:25 EST 2013

Question:--given the same O.D. of the tire/wheel assembly, how much heavier
 is a setup with mostly metal over one with more of its' diameter being
rubber?

Scotty from Hollyweird

P.S. I am old enough to remember wheels being 15" or 16".  They seemed
adequate for their day.  Then wheel sizes were reduced to 14", then 13"
requiring the development of disc brakes because the drums became too small for

effective braking. I still don't understand WHY  wheel sizes were  reduced so
much--I suspect it was mostly for styling.

Bought a set of Steel / Chromed 19's... looked light....  56 lb each  with tire!

 I believe the smaller diameter  was really just Cost savings..... since everyone went to larger wheels immediately in the 60's...  my first Vair....went to 14's  as soon as it needed tires..

This is why my current " Car of Choice" is a 96-97 T-Bird / Cougar   15" wheels /  70  series tires... RWD... rear is IRS..  OBDII  .  and I want the 3.8 v6....  pushrods and bulletproof...

And did I say all suspension parts are dirt cheap?  gg  When you buy cars with 150-200k  on the odo  these things are important!  ggg

Matt Nall
Charleston, Oregon
http://tinyurl.com/The-Corvair-Patio

http://tinyurl.com/Matts-Tech-Pages