<VV> turbo Corvair fuel mileage

Carlton Smith carlton55 at comcast.net
Thu Mar 7 13:10:51 EST 2013

Hi Ray,

In the good weather months (no wet or snow) my 65 Corsa 180 Turbo becomes my
daily driver. This has been the case since 2008. My turbo has the early
quicker spool up B flow exhaust turbine and the late F flow 180hp impeller.

A quick explanation here. The early 150hp turbos have a B flow exhaust
turbine and intake impeller. The late 180hp turbos have a F flow exhaust
turbine and intake impeller. The late F flow exhaust turbines will not spool
up for boost very quickly until you get to nearly highway speeds. So for the
best of both worlds many have done the following as I have.

The 62-63 turbos had a bolt on flat flange for the exhaust pipe. The 64-66
had a chamfered flange for the tail pipe. So the best of both worlds is to
take the 64 exhaust housing and marry it with a 65-66 intake cartridge, but
install the early exhaust turbine.

To start you are going to burn premium only or experience detonation. My
"worst to best" "in town" driving I get 16mpg to 17.8mpg. That is directly
dependent on how much you "put your foot into it". Make no mistake boosting
is addictive.

My "worst to best" highway driving I get 19mpg to 21mpg. The biggest factor
here in not just putting your foot into it. But if you run at 55-60mph you
will get the drastically better mileage, if you run at 65-70mph  you
experience drastically less mpg. This is partially due to the Corsa's
gearing.

Best regards,
Carlton Smith
Circle City Corvairs Club
Indianapolis, IN
1965 Corsa (crocus yellow) convertible- 180hp turbo