<VV> (UN) Popular-Science-May-1960 Corvair Article re: belts

djtcz at comcast.net djtcz at comcast.net
Mon Mar 11 09:13:47 EDT 2013

original message
From: "Bob Gilbert" < bgilbert at gilberts-bc.ca >

Interesting article but what amazes me when I read articles like this is
that most of the reported problems could have(or should have) been caught
during basic testing. Didn't the original belt system exhibit these problems
during testing? Was there no cold weather testing and so on?
Regards,
Bob

This does not address the belt testing done before 1959, but there is Industrial belt drive precedence. The Corvair belt drive is really four "quarter turn" drives stacked together. Sometimes called a "mule drive."
John Deere riding mower reference here, about half way down -
http://manuals.deere.com/cceomview/OMTCU15013_L1/Output/OMTCU15013_L112.html
http://www.martinsprocket.com/ENGINEERING/D177.pdf

Here is a typical (modern) comment about using V-belts with quarter turn drives. I wonder if the same comment appeared in the 1955 pre-Corvair catalogs, since the "fix' mentioned in the 1960 PopSci was at least 1 deep groove pulley/sheave.
" On a V-Belt quarter turn drive, made to order sheaves with deeper and wider grooves are required."
How "deep" a "deep groove" lulley sheave needs to be is not defined there.

http://www.ptaustralia.com.au/sites/default/files/V-Belts%20Drives%20with%20Twist%20and%20Non-Alignmnet.pdf

Benzinger belt discussion seems mainly about extra trouble when driving Spyders aggressively.