<VV> Cooling

Ron ronh at owt.com
Tue Mar 12 01:26:23 EDT 2013

Yes, electric fans have been tried but never by anyone who knows what they
are doing.  Since it's getting reasonably close to April 1st, I can describe
how the previous designs have been inadequate.

First, none of them ever looked at Bob Helt's book, The Classic Corvair, to
see how much power is required to blow enough air to cool the engine.  Turns
out that it's at least ten horsepower as shown on page 42.  So the easy and
realistic solution is to couple a ten or more horsepower DC electric motor
directly to the blower hub.  You might as well use the existing blower as
the power requirement comes from the design if the engine, not the blower.
A little hammer work on the engine lid will provide clearance for the motor.

Second, an electric motor of that size will require something like 150 amps
and since that's way beyond the limits of the Corvair system, you should
install something like a Tesla car battery pack somewhere in the Corvair.
This will require you to stop at Tesla charging stations (To be built) to
recharge ever so often.

Third, you'll need a computer controlled speed control for the blower motor
with the engine temperature being the controlling criteria.  This could be
mounted where the spare tire used to be.

There you have it, just an afternoons work with an unlimited budget.  Do you
need to run it all the time? (The second question) The answer is no as long
as you don't mind installing a fresh uncooked engine ever so often.

April is coming,
RonH
PS - it's a blower, not a fan!