<VV> Parts mixing

ricebugg at comcast.net ricebugg at comcast.net
Tue Mar 12 12:55:30 EDT 2013

All:  And a '64 could have '63 parts.  Depends on when new parts arrived and old parts ran out.  Who know what was going on then.  There's a fair chance even the warm bodies doing their jobs either didn't know, or maybe did it on purpose just for giggles.

Remember, this was all done with paper.  No computers to manage flow and keep inventory on the ass'y line in sequence.  No bar codes to check part numbers

I remember hearing a story back in the '80's of either a F'bird or a Camaro being built with the other cars interior installed.  The next stack of parts were there and stuffed into the next car on the line.  There was no way to stop the line to rearrange the the inventory.  It is entirely possible the guys on the line didn't even notice.  The car was in the hands of the new owner several weeks before they noticed as I remember the story.  Dealership swapped out the parts.  If it had been me, I would have kept it as delivered.  How unique would that car be today!?

We are accustomed to neat and orderly.  Real life just isn't that way.  Documenting the aberrations is what makes history so much fun.

Historically Yours,
					James Rice

Message: 1