<VV> HELP: Apparent Electrical Issue

Joel McGregor joel at joelsplace.com
Thu Mar 14 11:47:27 EDT 2013

If a cable had an intermittent short it would be letting smoke out and you would know it.  I've had it happen and it will suddenly let out all the smoke and melt a battery post.  I have a '63 that does almost the same thing and it's never quit long enough for me to track it down.  It's never done it at night so I don't know about the lights.  Mine will completely quit but it usually starts back up before I come to a stop.  It has come to a complete stop a couple of times but it starts right back up before I can check anything.  My problem and yours has to be an open circuit somewhere.  Are you sure it was just down on power and hadn't quit completely?  I would think a coil would make it quit completely or miss with no other symptoms it certainly wouldn't shut off the headlights.
Headlights off is a key symptom with yours.  You are losing power somewhere prior to the ignition switch which is killing the headlights and also the engine.  If it was at the ignition switch or after it you wouldn't lose the headlights.
Someone else needs to chime in on what happens with the Gen light when you lose power.  I'm guessing that power can feed back through it and make the light come on as long as the engine is spinning.
Does it still have a generator?
I would start with the main hot wire that feeds the ignition switch and the battery.
Joel