<VV> Alternate Fans?

Joel McGregor joel at joelsplace.com
Fri Mar 15 13:02:05 EDT 2013

They are well oiled but they have to deal with constant slipping when not engaged.  Our application would slip infrequently and then not for long.  They also have a much hotter environment to deal with.  They would all have to have a custom sealed housing to keep lube in.  The races could be part of the housing you build for the seals.  Transmissions use 2 different styles.  Some have roller bearings and ramps - these would be too costly to fab races/ramps for and all the ones I've see are too large.  The second style uses a smooth inner and outer race with dog style elements in the sprag.  This is what we want.  I've seen some that were pretty small such as the ones used in old Husky automatics (which have no pressurized oiling).  They are small enough to fit in a housing around the size the stock bearing uses.
Joel