<VV> alternate fans / Electrics

Mel Francis mfrancis at wi.rr.com
Sat Mar 16 17:49:42 EDT 2013

Whether you use electric or mechanical drive from the engine, the only fan I would ever consider for the Corvair engine is the stock fan. The pressure from the fan is only part of it. If you take a look at the top shroud on the engine, the downward-radiused part of the cover, just before the spark plug location is designed to take the high-speed air coming radially out of the fan and direct it down, right into the head fins, at the area of the highest heat, the exhaust valve seats.

For a fan installation to cool correctly, you really need that high-speed, high pressure air to hit the fins in that spot for any engine longevity. Flat fans mounted to the top of the shroud don't pressurize that specific area and have a problem dissipating heat, when the engine is under a sustained load, during regular driving. That's also why de-flashing is so important, right in that area especially, on each head.

Recently, I've been considering an internal 90 degree, geared shaft drive to the stock fan through a modified engine top cover. It involves some tight engineering, but it looks like it can all be fitted. The shaft would then extend back to the rear pulley, over a modified alternator bracket and connect to a short belt that takes its drive from an A/C pulley, mounted to the rear harmonic balancer, like the vertical Porsche-type fan does. This one modification could make any Corvair rock-solid cooling-reliable, especially those dedicated to speed events, without the almost 'traditional' embarassment of thrown belts.

I didn't invent this approach, our German friends did, about 50 years ago.

Check out this inspirational drawing:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mel_francis/8562361841/in/photostream

Mel Francis