<VV> anti seize on plugs

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Mon Mar 18 20:05:01 EDT 2013

_djtcz at comcast.net_ (mailto:djtcz at comcast.net)   writes:

Hi  Clark,

I 'd bet a dollar menu cheeseburger the heat transfer is as  good or maybe
little better with antiseize or grease. I anticipate No problem  with the
electrical contact needed as a ground connection either.
Because Clark wrote:
I have just done an internet search on this topic and nowhere did I find
any
info that you shouldn't use it on spark plugs. So, apparently I am  wrong!!!
This is heart breaking as I have never been wrong before!  GRIN
Clark Hartzel

Good News Clark - You were right - Maybe.

Well - You pay your money and you take your choice.

Here is my take:
1- Clean dry threads both on plug and head
2- Published Torque value used only when dry.
3- If you add anti-seize, watch/read plug temp/heat range. May insulate and
 plug will run hot. Adjust torque values during installation.(downward)
4- I use thread inserts on all my spark plug holes, so all bets are off
anyway! - Seth

But in case anybody cares:

 - Advice from the plug guys

Autolite
We do not recommend the use of any anti  seize products for installing
spark  plugs. Anti-seize compounds are typically composed of metallic,
electrically conductive ingredients. If anti seize compounds come in contact  with
the core nose of the plugs, it can lead to a misfire condition. Anti seize
compounds can also have a torque multiplying effect when installing plugs.
This  can lead to thread distortion and thread galling resulting in cylinder
head  damage. Autolite spark plugs are  nickel plated to resist the effects
of corrosion and seizing. However, plug  seizure is aggravated further when
steel plugs are installed into aluminum  cylinder heads for a long period of
time.

AC/Delco
Do not use any type of anti-seize compound on  spark plug threads. Doing
this will  decrease the amount of friction between the threads. The result of
the lowered  friction is that when the spark plug is  torqued to the proper
specification, the spark  plug is turned too far into the cylinder  head.
This increases the likelihood of pulling or stripping the threads  in the
cylinder head. Over-tightening of  a spark plug can cause stretching of the
spark plug shell and could allow blowby  to pass through the gasket seal
between the shell and insulator. Over-tightening  also results in extremely
difficult removal.

Champion
The  following material is excerpted from the Champion Spark Plug  Handbook.
Champion spark plug  shells (the threaded part) use an extruded steel to
maintain exact tolerances.  The extruded shell goes through a cold rolling
process to form the threads. This  prevents sharp edges which could cut new
threads into aluminum cylinder heads. Once  the shell is formed and threaded,
it is zinc-plated to extend its life and  reduce the chances of seizure in
aluminum cylinder heads. Our  latest technology combines Tin Tac" and
ULTRASEAL'M coatings over the plating to  further reduce corrosion and seizure.
Champion recommends that you do not use an  anti-seize compound, since one has
already been applied to the plugs at the  factory.

Intrigued, I went a-googling for any information I could  find from NGK on
this topic. I found this excellent Canadian  website that lists the complete
set of NGK Technical Bulletins. According to the  Bulletin, NGK states that
all their plugs are manufactured with a special metal  shell (trivalent)
plating to prevent damage to the cylinder head. For  plugs with this special
metal plating, anti-seize is not recommended during  installation. Applying
anti-seize to these plugs will cause the installer to  mistakenly over-torque
the plug in the cylinder  head stretching the metal between the last thread
and the seal between  the cylinder head and plug. This  increases the
probability that the spark plug will  either break during installation or upon
removal.

For plugs without a  special metal shell plating, NGK advises the use of
anti-seize and provides  photos of unplated plugs installed without anti-seize
where the steel threads  have bonded with the aluminum in the cylinder head
 requiring replacement or repair of the head.

Denso also  warns against the use of anti-seize in their Spark Plug
Installation instructions:
"If a  thread lubricant such as grease is coated on the thread, tightening
to the  recommended torque is tightening too much; this has been linked to
seal leakage.  Do not use a thread lubricant."