<VV> Rochester 2CGs on a Corvair Engine?

jwcorvair at aol.com jwcorvair at aol.com
Mon Mar 18 21:23:34 EDT 2013

I was wondering if anyone has tried to use a pair of Rochester 2CGs on a Corvair engine. These are a relatively simple twin throat carb that are frequently used on some class specific race cars - think circle track racing. One of our vendors offers an adapter to mate a twin throat Weber IDA to a 140 hp head. Both the IDA and the 2CG are non progressive carbs and will flow the through both throats into the cast manifold on a Corvair head, possibly over carbureting the capability of a cylinder to burn the fuel. In some ways this seems to be a waste to me, but might have some performance application. Using either the 2CG or IDA would require careful matching of jets (much easier to do with the Weber IDA) to get best performance. What prompted this question was that I read an article about performance tuning the 2CG in the online version of Circle Track magazine.

The 2CG might also have some application on a turbo engine, similar to the old Stomberg modification for EM turbos.

Any thoughts?

Joe White (62 four door, 66 Porvair, 64 Spyder)