<VV> Rear Window (backlite) Reveal Moldings Removal

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Mon Mar 18 23:59:16 EDT 2013

Well, the good news is the backlight is tempered, not laminated like the
windshield. This means the chance of chipping the edge is less than the
windshield, and, if you do chip it, it will probably just be a small
chip that is 1. not noticed with the trim on, 2. will not run a crack
across it.

I start with the trim piece that seems to have the most gap to the
glass. I also keep sliding the tool along the molding until I find a
clip that releases. That's where I start picking up the molding as I
continue sliding the tool and releasing the clips.

Keep the tool parallel with the glass. If you tilt the tool, the tip
will chip the glass.

Taking the moldings off usually does no harm. Putting them back on is
where the dents come in.

Practicing on another car, especially one with  one or two moldings
removed, helps. Then you can see how the clip holds the trim and what
the tool needs to do to pull the clip away from the molding edge.

If Jon was still here, he could see we do offer good advice to people on
the forum.

Frank DuVal