<VV> Front strut rod bushings

BBRT chsadek at comcast.net
Sat Mar 23 12:01:06 EDT 2013

There is a nut splitter you could try. I don't know if they make one big
enough, though. The thing I found, is that the rear one usually will turn,
but the front is frozen solid. IF, you can get the rear one off, then you
can remove the bolts on lower control arm and remove arm. Use a lot of
penetrant; PB Blaster or Kroil or some folks use a homemade variety
(archives-I don't remember ingredients). What I did, was, found a guy with a
big vise. I put hte arm in vertically. First I hit both sides of nut with
hammers at more or less  the same time to try and break the nut free. Then,
using a big wrench and a four foot! length of pipe, slowly worked the
remaining nut back and forth until I could really work it and eventually got
it off. The threads are fine so it is a bear AND the die for those threads
is a special order item. But, once you get the arm off, you can use the blue
wrench on it and heat the front nut up and then work it.

Alternatively, leave the front one where it is, install new bushings and
adjust. The rear adjustment will probably be right on, since nothing has
changed.

Chuck S