<VV> Bueaty (was: Items which people discuss)

Steven J. Serenska corvair at serenska.com
Tue Mar 26 16:33:48 EDT 2013

Bob:
>   From time to time, friends and even strangers would ask why I had such
> a (1) bland or (2) ugly car.  My reply was that, from behind the wheel I
> could not see the car, and, living in suburban New York City, I knew
> that my car would be the LAST to get stolen.
My mother drove a 1954 Chevrolet Bel Air until about 1968.  It was
pretty thoroughly worn out, particularly toward the end, and the paint
was mostly gone.  There was a fiberglass Wonderbread tray on the rear
driver's side floor (my grandmother owned a grocery).  It was there
because the floorboard had rusted out and that was the only thing
between the passenger's feet and the road.  You could sort of tell the
car was once green, but only when it rained.

When someone would make a similar comment to the ones Bob describes
above, my mother's reply was: "That's ok.  It takes me to the bank and
back".   (Say that in a sing-songy female voice and you'll get the idea.)

I wish I understood all that it meant at the time.

Steven J. Serenska