<VV> 4 speed 1960 Caveman Corvair?

Rob Landers YS-114 at charter.net
Wed Mar 27 22:02:46 EDT 2013

Not to rain on anyone's parade but the 4-speed transmission option was a
late 1960 model addition and was offered when the mid-year 1960 Monza's were
introduced.  So... yes, there are 1960 models that came from the factory
with 4-speeds.  I do not know with certainty that any models other than
Monza's had them but it would seem plausible that any 1960 Corvair produced
after the Monza introduction could have been optioned with a 4-speed.  No,
it won't be the aluminum case prototypes and most likely they were the same
as those used in the 1961 model year.

What is my source?  I have a good memory for such trivial things and I
believe it was noted in Tony Fiore's "Corvair Decade" but it could have been
Mike Knepper's "Corvair Affair".  Those books are been placed in secure
storage (read that as I don't remember where I put them).  My memory also
recalls that I test drove a 1960 Monza with a 4-speed that was for sale at a
used car in Wright City, MO back around 1983.

But since 30-year old memories can sometimes be doubted, I did confirm it by
way of the following Chicago Tribune story which appeared in 2009.  See
point #6.  I know, I know don't believe everything you read and certainly
not when it's some "snotty-nosed" newspaper writer but if you actually take
the time to open this you will note the authors are none other than Larry
Claypool and Dave Newell... true or not, what they say is "fact".  :)

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2009-07-12/news/0907090687_1_chevrolet-co
rvair-motor-trend-heater

Rob Landers
(First 2 Corvairs owned were 1960 700-series 3-speed 2-door and an automatic
4-door back in 1978... and always wanted a 4-speed 1960 Monza.)