<VV> Rear Ride Height

ricebugg at comcast.net ricebugg at comcast.net
Wed May 1 16:29:13 EDT 2013

Ray:  Don't raise the back.  Lower the front.  Get some stock HD springs and then get rake with tire size.

Historically Yours,
					James

Message: 4
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2013 23:53:38 -0400
From: Ramon Rodriguez III
Subject: increasing rear (LM) ride height (air bags?)

Greetings Vairfolk,

Do any of you have any knowledge of "air bag" suspension systems?  Any other good ideas for raising the rear ride height in my 66 Corsa coupe?  If I go with air bags I'd want the simplest most basic solution.  I don't need to be able to adjust it on the fly... I can set it where I want and only mess with it on rare occasion (more below).  Air shocks are not an option, I'm putting a set of Koni's I took off another car on my car this summer.

I like to give my cars an aggressive stance (some of you have seen my car). This requires the rear sit higher than the front.  It seems Corvairs sat lower in the rear than the front when new, and fourty plus years of having the heavier end of the car sitting on the rear springs didn't help.

Up until now I've used a clamp type device to keep my rear ride height where I want it, but this results in strange spring noises and squeaks so I want to find a better way.

I also use this car a couple times per year for autocross events etc., and I'm sure raising the rear is awful for handling so it would be nice if the modification was something adjustable or something that would be quick and easy to remove and re-install.  I imagine that is too much to ask but I thought I'd put it out there.

I'd love a set of HD rear springs too (or convertible?) if anyone has some lying around they'd let go of cheap.

Thanks for any advice,

Ray Rodriguez III
Certifiable Vair Nut
Lake Ariel, PA