<VV> incredible tiny garage fire!

J R Read hmlinc at sbcglobal.net
Sat May 4 01:11:18 EDT 2013

I saw a "show" car recently (2 weeks or so ago) which had black carpeting -
all trimmed to fit and lacing (leather - vinyl?) around the edge located
inside the engine lid where the insulation belongs.  That gave me yet
another perspective - since black absorbs heat - and caused me to have
further thought on this very subject.

Yes, some owners have eliminated (and maybe a 500 never had?) the factory
product.  So, I could understand a hot spot developing on the "hood" because
of reflection from the air cleaner top.

I don't pretend to have any definitive answers on this, and that is why I
asked if anyone is aware of a fire from this cause.  Perhaps it is a
non-issue (until it becomes one).

And - Oh, to Matt - I'm talking about a potential fire starting in the
material located on the backside (bottom) of an open engine cover.  It
would/could be very appropriate to have an extinguisher inside the engine
compartment - not attached to the lid of course - for just such a fire.

Later, JR