<VV> Mysterious Loosening Generator Pulley Nut

djtcz at comcast.net djtcz at comcast.net
Sat May 4 21:06:38 EDT 2013

Hi Craig,

the main reason for any metal-to-metal bolted joint to loosen is insufficient torque at assembly.
I don't have a generator era Corvair manual, but the 1958 Edsel manual calls for 30 to 50 lbs ft ( yeah, it said lbs feet back in '58). The pulley replacing process described requires removing the generator from the car and sneaking the armature out with the front bearing and housing still attached. The body of the generator is gripped in a vise with wood inserted to protect the generator rotor body.

If the mating surfaces were torn up I'd be sure to smooth and flatten them to prevent "embedment" in service and subsequent loss of preload/clamping, and a third round of loosening.

Dan T