<VV> Ralphie is at it again....

Ramon Rodriguez III corvairgrymm at gmail.com
Mon May 13 14:12:16 EDT 2013

I complain, but really I love the fact that there is so much Corvair
misinformation out there.  It makes for good conversation!  This one is
really annoying because Nader should really know better by now.  What
really got me was this line:

"Moreover, as GM admitted in a belated public recall, Corvairs emitted a
risky amount of odorless carbon monoxide from their heater exchange system
during cold weather."

Yes, I keep a carbon monoxide detector in my Corvairs for safety but I've
never had one go off and as far as I know this is something that "can"
happen but is pretty rare.  I can't imagine that any significant number of
Corvairs developed exhaust manifold leaks during their normal service life.
 I believe they used asbestos and that is good stuff.  The Corvairs I drove
the most in cold weather were neglected beaters.  Oil smoke yes, exhaust in
the heat, never happened to me.  Maybe there is something I don't know that
justifies that line, please let me know if that is the case.

On that note I'm annoyed with less well informed Corvair lovers who say
that the "problem" was solved on later models rather than that the
"problem" (the rollover problem that is) never existed.... but I also
remember telling people that myself ten years ago.  We should all know
better than to repeat what we hear and/or read without checking the facts
first, but it's a trap nearly everyone falls into on a frequent basis.

Ray Rodriguez III
Certifiable Vair Nut
Lake Ariel, PA