<VV> LED Lights One (several) More Word(s)

Tom Berg thesuperscribe at yahoo.com
Fri May 17 13:03:25 EDT 2013

Heat can work for and against you. As you've probably noticed, most truck-trailers now have LED tail/stop/turn signal lamps and marker lamps because they use 10% of the energy of incandescents and last 10 times as long (unless they're cheap versions whose individual diodes begin burning out after a few years).

Incandescent marker lamps (the ones at the top of a van trailer, especially the three in the center) have been known to start fires when they've been pushed against insulation cushions at loading docks. No problem if  drivers remember to turn off the lights.

On the other hand, heat from incandescent bulbs melts snow and ice that forms at the rear of trailers while going down the highway. Cool-burning LEDs allow snow and ice to build up. Of course this is not a problem with Corvairs, whose owners keep them snug and dry in garages during snowstorms.

--Tom in Ohio