<VV> Transmission won't shift into 3/4

Dave Keillor dkeillor at tconcepts.com
Fri May 31 08:59:47 EDT 2013

Background -- It's a '65 4 speed that I had a guy who has a good reputation
with manual transmissions rebuild (bearings, blocker rings, etc.)

Situation -- I reinstalled the drivetrain in the car without checking the
transmission for proper operation.

Problem -- I can't get the tranny into 3 or 4.  It's not the linkage --the
problem persists with the linkage disconnected. Getting reverse after going
through the strong detent is no problem.  First and second, again, no
problem.  But I can't rotate the shift rod into the third and fourth gear
position.  It just goes a wee bit to the left and stops solid.   Someone
suggested that one of the shifter forks could be installed backwards.

Next -- Tranny fluid is draining and I'll remove the side cover.  If that
doesn't uncover the problem, the tranny is coming out and going back to the
rebuilder.

Question -- Any guesses?

Dave Keillor