<VV> wheel color/ GM's answer

corvairduval at cox.net corvairduval at cox.net
Fri May 31 14:11:58 EDT 2013

OK, I had to do more research on the GM site, but I have the answer, and it
matches Ed's findings.

http://www.gmheritagecenter.com/gm-heritage-archive/vehicle-information-kits
.html

Go to the various Corvair years and look under exterior paint
specifications.

For 60 and 61, the wheels were body color (color of the lower two tone if
applicable).

For 1962, they started an oddity:

All Corvairs (and full sized Chevys) got body colored wheels, unless, they
were ordered with full wheel covers AND whitewall tires!

So, the 64 Spyder came with Spyder full wheel covers as standard, and if
ordered (as shown in the brochure) with whitewall tires, the wheels would
be black.

If one ordered the 64 Impala SS (always came with full wheelcovers) and
blckwall tires, the wheels would still be body color.

I guess the Art and Color section decided the cars with blackwalls needed
something to spruce up the wheels, so they made the wheels body color. If
there was already whitewall tires, then the extra splash of body color was
not needed, so the wheels were black.

Confused? Well, at lest the matter is settled!

Frank DuVal

Of course the matter will still be discussed LOL!

Original email: