<VV> Turbos / OverHeating

hallgrenn at aol.com hallgrenn at aol.com
Tue Oct 1 23:00:38 EDT 2013

Thanks Dan.  Very informative.

Bob

-----Original Message-----
From: djtcz <djtcz at comcast.net>
To: virtualvairs <virtualvairs at corvair.org>
Sent: Tue, Oct 1, 2013 9:28 pm
Subject: Re: <VV> Turbos / OverHeating

For those curious or skeptical about some manufacturers today reserving "full"
turbo boost for short term (much less than a minute) special events, here is a
2012 mainstream report, allegedly with input from several auto manufacturers,
and even Honeywell, the turbo maker.
(FWIW The rep from Honeywell of unknown technical qualifications and background,
said " If the extra turbo boost were left on longer, an engine could overheat.")

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/driveon/post/2012/06/ford-focus-st-ecoboost-fiat-abarth-overboost/1#.Uks8EoaUTXA

Mini forums talk about ~ 15 seconds of "overboost" (and about 15 lb-ft of
torque) being part of the program since at least 2007, and at least as recently
as 2012.
http://www.newcartestdrive.com/review-drive.cfm?Vehicle=2012_Mini_Cooper&ReviewID=5083

GM is using 10 seconds of overboost on the 2014 Cruze turbo diesel
http://www.carscoops.com/2013/06/gm-says-cruze-diesels-overboost-feature.html

In 2011 BMW allegedly told Fox news the 335 could muster about 3 psi extra boost
(and ~ 30 lb-ft of torque) but only for 7 seconds.
http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2010/06/02/bmw-z-sdriveis/

According to a few Internet sOuRceS (maybe the same guys that say Corvair axles
or steering breaks, or Corvairs rollover), Lotus Esprit back in the 90s allowed
full "over" boost all the way to peak HP of 284, but limited its use to 30
seconds or so.

Searches for Subaru overboost pretty much invariably get hits for overboost as a
problem triggering CEL/OBD codes, and frequently brought on by modifying the
stock exhaust system. So at least in 2012 Subaru was comfortable hitting WRXs
with 14-15 psi of boost continuously.
http://www.cars101.com/subaru/wrxsti/wrxsti2012.html

Here is a link to an opposed engine automaker who felt in 2007 they could get
away with a little more boost, but for less time.
First, remember that the latest Turbo has an overboost mode—it ups boost on the
3.6-liter flat-six by 2.9 psi, increasing torque from 460 pound-feet to 505 for
10 seconds when the dash-mounted "Sport" button is ticked and the throttle is
pinned
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2007-porsche-911-turbo-tiptronic-short-take-road-test

This Canadian dealer says overboost (with no mention of time) is still on at
least one 2014 model, along with a 26 gallon fuel tank.
http://oakville.porschedealer.com/new/Porsche/Panamera+Turbo/2014/Basalt+Black+Metallic/black/968498/info.php

============
Here is a 2010 BMW paper about the turbocharged 3 liter inline 6, N55 engine. On
page 91 it describes when in non-economy mode they rev up the electric water
pump or something to pull the coolant temp in the cylinder head down almost 29
degrees C, because " This temperature reduction promotes improved volumetric
efficiency, thus resulting in an increased engine torque."
http://www.e90post.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=512101&d=1303136356

For my money it is relatively easy to just crank up the boost to a level that
improves volumetric efficiency to the point I "run over my own crankshaft" (as
the late Great Smokey Yunick wrote a few times) so if we take the marketing spin
out, I think the description would reverse to include more technical stuff about
reliability when running that much boost, or ability to use pump gas or
something. Earlier in that section they talk about when in economy mode raising
the temperature for reduced internal friction. Sounds like at least PART of the
reason may be the inscrutably thorough Germans believe oil viscosity is thin,
perhaps too thin for serious work at the higher temp.

If Chevy had access to similar computer controls in 1962-1966 I believe they
could have, and would have done things a bit differently.

Dan T