<VV> tire inflation question - generic; could be for Corvair...

Vairtec Corporation Vairtec at optonline.net
Fri Oct 4 12:44:07 EDT 2013

Andy, unless the replacement tires are in some way dramatically
different form the OE tires (i.e., different size on different-size
wheels or some such thing), stay with the Subaru-recommended inflation
pressures.

The 44 psi maximum figure on the tire sidewall is the pressure needed by
that tire to carry its maximum rated load.  The maximum rated load is on
that sidewall, too, and is probably well above the weight that the Subie
is putting on any individual tire.  This was in all likelihood true of
the OE tires also.

Now, that said, any vehicle manufacturer's recommended inflation
pressures are calculated to deal not only with load-carrying capacity
but also with ride quality and handling.  To a degree you can boost the
load-carrying capacity and enhance the handling response, at a small
cost in ride quality, with a slight upward adjustment of the inflation
pressures.  But my gut feeling is that your suggested 37F / 34R is a bit
much.  I'd suggest 34F / 32R.

--Bob