<VV> odometer reading

Mark Durham 62vair at gmail.com
Fri Oct 4 17:42:52 EDT 2013

Bruce, I am wondering the same thing on my 62. I bought it with 67K miles
advertised, however, when disassembling the engine the cylinders were so
worn out it looked like many, many more miles to me. Main and Rod bearings
were great, the crank miked out at the small end of the new standard
tolerances. The heads were perfect. I replaced the valves with the new
tuftrided ones, and only had to lap them in. The guides and seats were all
in new tolerances. And when I took both the differential and 4 speed apart
for inspection, all I did was replace seals. No excessive bearing wear,
syncro's were in good condition, ring and pinion were perfect, but all the
suspension rubber (probably due to age, not miles) was loose as a goose,
accept for the rear a arm bushings, I assume they got changed along the
way, so I have concluded the mileage is correct.

I thought I heard that the odometer numbers, when it rolls over, will not
line up straight again. I have a old odometer out of a 63 I might try
running up to see what happens. How long, I wonder, would it take to run up
35K miles on a speedo using my drill? I could go 100 mph!

So, if anyone has good data on this subject, please speak up for Bruce's
and my benefit. Thanks.

Mark Durham
62 Monza 900 Coupe 4 speed red/red
Hauser, Idaho