<VV> odometer reading

kenpepke at juno.com kenpepke at juno.com
Fri Oct 4 18:28:34 EDT 2013

Not really any way to accurately validate mileage unless you have a service log with miles and dates.  Having run many a car, some of them Corvairs, past the 100,000 mile mark I can say the numbers will all line up properly after just a few miles.  Many used to say the numbers would not line up again if the odometer had been set back … also not true.  At one time there was a movement to have a marker scratch the odometer numbers the first time around.  I do not believe any manufacturer actually did this … and having checked many odometers at the junk yard, never saw one.

I have a 65 Monza 2 door that shows around 19,500 miles.  Because it was on jack stands in a garage since 1976 (after 11 years of service) I  first wanted to think it was 119, 500 miles.  Like Dennis mentioned, I checked the pedals … heavy wear!  Maybe 219,500?  Then I saw an extra instrument panel in the parts that came with the car … the speedometer was missing.  The running gear all seems to be in good condition.  How many miles?  We will never know.

Ken P
Wyandotte, MI
65 Monza 110hp 4 speed 2 door
Worry looks around; Sorry looks back, Faith looks up.