<VV> Odometer Reading

Ramon Rodriguez III corvairgrymm at gmail.com
Sat Oct 5 00:50:31 EDT 2013

My two cents:  Back when I had my first Corvair about ten years ago (a 65
monza coupe with powerglide) I had a speedometer cable get noisy.  I found,
much to my amusement, that when it was annoying me I could actually
disconnect the speedometer cable under the dash easily while driving down
the road, and put it back on and tighten the nut while still driving down
the road to put the speedometer back into action.  This might sound
reckless, but in all honesty it was easier than putting a CD in a car
stereo. I didn't have to take my eyes off the road even for a second to do
it... it was that easy to find it by feel.  In my case it didn't matter as
the title showed "not actual mileage" anyway.

So someone could (for example) take one of the cars from that "NOS" car
auction this past week and put a couple thousand miles on it without the
speedo cable disconnected (using a GPS as a speedo), then sell it as a
fully documented <100 mile car ten years later.

Ray R.