<VV> Some more about Speedo calibration

N2VZD at aol.com N2VZD at aol.com
Sat Oct 5 21:28:17 EDT 2013

Early speedos had 1000revs per mile   lates had 850? (maybe 860 ,  I cant
remember without looking for my OLD books), this results in a different
calibration , and odometer drive gear. Spyder and Corsa had a brass drive gear
in place of plastic to drive the added load of a trip odometer. Some other
later 60's GM cars had spindle drive speedos also
Calibration requires a machine to drive the speedo at known speeds. you
need to run it at 3 speeds on a chart , typically 15  45  and 90 mph  while
adjusting the hairspring and magnetism of the spinning magnet. I had a
special VERY strong electromagnet that had armatures to fit close to the moving
magnet. I fed a very high current capacitor bank discharge ,thru a starter
solenoid , of @12volts to magnetize , and a variac to feed controlled AC
voltage to it for demagnetizing until speeds were exact at all 3 charted
calibration points. It is a balance between hairspring tension and  magnetism to
calibrate.This is a short description of why I suggest a shop set  up to do
these correctly. I still own the setup , but gave custody to someone  doing
a lot of antique car speedos as a service to his Chrysler car club guys. I
am not ready to take it back yet , and have way too much going on here
anyway's.  I hope this helps you avoid sadness.
 The idea of switching face and case to a late corsa frame is ok , but  you
still do not know how close you are , unless maybe a check with a GPS. Also
 , it is VERY easy to break the shaft that the needle is on , so you must
carefully hold the speed cup while twisting the needle , not just pulling on
it!  no fingerprints on the face , they will not wipe off.     Somewhere I
have pictures of my equipment at my old shop.
Regards, Tim Colson