<VV> Off season projects

Rick Norris ricknorris at suddenlink.net
Mon Oct 28 18:29:34 EDT 2013

This year has been a busy one but I only got to race once at the Mitty. As I
have often said if I only get to race one time a year I want it to be the
Mitty.
I did get to do the Corvair Convention and run the track event at Gingerman
plus experiencing the Michigan heat wave! The convention was on my list and
I could have spent that money to race again but I had not been to a national
for several years and the time was right. No regrets. It was a great
opportunity to meet some folks I only knew from Facebook.
As some of you know I acquired another dune buggy. I bought Mike McCrea's
Corvair powered Desert Fox "Spoiler" buggy. It's Manx copy but a good one.
As is my habit I have done a lot of work to it which it really needed and
I'm not done yet. I hope to get it painted before next summer among other
things.
We cruised some in the 67 Royal Plum vert this year but not as much as last
year. Managed a few parades and some cruise ins.
I too hope to have better race season next year. Obviously the Mitty is
first on the list. I hope to do the Pittsburgh Grand Prix too. That is a
blast at the old Beaverun track now called Pittrace.
http://www.pittrace.com/
The vintage event at Mid Ohio would be nice. It's on my bucket list of
tracks. Also the HSR event at Hutchinson Island in Savannah GA will be
looked at now that Mike Levine has run it and has good things to say about
it.

As has been my habit I will begin my weekly Mitty updates in January to get
things going for the new season. Email me if you want to be on my email
blast list. I need a beer.

Rick Norris
1st CORSA President, 1971
www.corvairalley.com
Hurricane WV
#36 Sunoco Corvair

Well,

I plan on a full racing season next year. That means, finish a couple of
engines, buy four new treaded racing tires (gulp!), get a new required
bi-annual physical.  Need to go thru a CR 4spd and a couple of diffs, incl.
machining a 3.89 for a late carrier. Thanks Bryan, for this, as I forgot I
needed to machine the ring gear for more bolts.
I have my 67 PG street coupe in primer after metal repair - no bondo in this
car. Can't put it outside while in primer.. Need to go ahead and paint it so
I can get it outside (and get a newer car inside) and drive it. This one
probably will be for sale - rebuilt engine that runs very smoothly.
I have been collecting parts for my 64 FC project - still in Group Red. I
have the drive train parts, ss west coast mirrors, ss window ventshades,
good pass side headlight bucket & trim, etc.
The other project in the planning stage is to V8 or V6 my 68 Cpe. It has 68
Chevelle/Nova front disks and Cadillac rear disks. Some body work (fenders)
required but car is also inside and has been for many, many years.
And.... in our 68 Z28 SCCA race car we are currently installing new sheet
metal where needed. No bondo, no rust in this car. Period correct factory 4
whl disk brakes. Raced since early 70s. Probably sell once complete.
Other than those minor projects, nothing is going on!

Chuck S