<VV> Clutch Adjustment LM Coupe

corvairduval at cox.net corvairduval at cox.net
Tue Oct 29 14:19:51 EDT 2013

Hmm,

I never read the service manual for clutch adjustment, just always used the
time honored 1" of free pedal play rule on the clutch pedal. The Corvair
has two places to adjust, the swivel on the clutch rod and the swivel on
the end of the cable. The cable end needs to be adjusted once. If you
haven't changed the cable or fooled with that swivel, you should be OK.
This adjustment relates to the cross shaft belcrank to bracket clearance.

Now, if you have someone step on the clutch pedal to the floor while you
are underneath, and see the cross shaft belcrank hitting the bracket (or
other object), that would cause no disengagement (I think).

If you have 1" of free pedal travel and the clutch still will not
disengage, take the engine back out and check for clutch plate in
backwards, or you used the clutch plate (disc, disk) with the center
rivets. If you have the disc with the rivets instead of the welded center
hub, get a new disc.

You are correct that I do not use a force gauge (spring scale) for most
things. I'm not sure I have one that reads 15 pounds. I'm not catching that
big of a fish usually! ggg

Frank DuVal

Original email: